Friday, January 15, 2016

Crochet Baby Owl Cocoon with Owl Hat in 0-3 and 3-6 Month Sizes

I love owls, and I've fallen in love with baby cocoons lately, so I decided to design a new owl cocoon crochet pattern using my own originally designed version of a scale stitch.  I chose the lovely main shades of orchid and honeydew melon because they are a fun combination and added a splash of grey and white in the breast feathers, wings and hat for a bit of contrast.




This Baby Owl Cocoon with Owl Hat is of my own original design and features my own originally-designed version of a scale stitch, which gives the owl cocoon a fine, scaly textured appearance. I created this stitch when I designed my Mermaid Tail Afghan because I wanted to achieve something that differed from the bulkiness of the crocodile stitch.



More information about the design:

A - The wings are securely appliqued onto the front-sides and fold over the breast feathers in the center of the cocoon.

B - The breast feathers are worked in a continuous "striping" pattern around the front and back of the cocoon, which means when the cocoon is turned over, there is a stripe of orchid/melon/grey/white with solid orchid at the top and bottom. This makes the cocoon reversible, so both "winged" and "striped" sides could be utilized to change up the look.

This Baby Owl Cocoon is available here as a CROCHET PATTERN as well as the FINISHED PRODUCT in my Etsy shop.

The CROCHET PATTERN is intermediate level and includes instructions for the following:

  • A detailed photo tutorial on how to create my scale stitch design
  • Owl Cocoon using my scale stitch 
  • Owl Hat with ruffle-rimmed eyes, owl beak and tasseled ears appliques

Supplies Needed:
"J" Crochet Hook
7 oz. 4 Medium Weight Yarn in Orchid (I used Red Heart brand)
7 oz. 4 Medium Weight Yarn in Honeydew Melon (I used Red Heart brand)
3 oz. 4 Medium Weight Yarn in Soft White (I used Red Heart brand)
3 oz. 4 Medium Weight Yarn in Grey
1 oz. 4 Medium Weight Yarn in Black (I used Red Heart brand)
(If you desire using a 3 Light Weight baby yarn, be sure to use an “I”-sized crochet hook.)

Stitches Used:
Chain
Single Crochet
Slip Stitch
Half Double Crochet
Double Crochet
Single Crochet Two Together
Double Crochet Two Together
Scale Stitch

No comments:

Post a Comment