Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Crochet Baby Mermaid Cocoon Outfit

Since designing my Mermaid Tail Afghans / Blankets, I have been experimenting with other ways to utilize my version of the "scale stitch" and the mermaid tail concept.  It's been fun exercising my creative spirit!

This Baby Mermaid Tail Cocoon Outfit for newborns to 3-month-olds is my latest creation.  When I designed it, my goal was to create something unique.  Many of the mermaid baby cocoon outfits I've seen use the crocodile stitch, which I like but think is too bulky for a tiny baby to wear; whereas, my scale stitch is much more delicate and smooth-laying.  There also are very few pink mermaid outfits available or those paired with a starfish bikini.  Furthermore, I've never seen another crochet spiral shell applique on a headband either.

I am accepting custom-orders for the finished version of the Crochet Baby Mermaid Cocoon Outfit as well as making the crochet pattern available for sale in my Etsy shop.



I think this cute little number would be so adorable for a baby's first photo shoot, as a show-stopper baby shower gift or better yet--both!  Although my pattern and the original design includes the graduating striped appearance, it could be also be custom-made by me or a pattern purchaser in a solid color.

The scale stitch included in the pattern is my own version of the stitch, which gives the mermaid tail a fine, scaly textured appearance. The stitch may resemble a smaller-scale version of the crocodile stitch.  However, I assure you it is not created in the same manner.  It's actually created much more easily!


The ensemble includes a coordinating starfish string bikini top and headband.



Aside from the mermaid tail cocoon itself, my favorite part of this ensemble is the headband adorned with a starfish, seashell, pearls and iridescent beads.  The crochet seashell is of my own design as well!  I also need to give my daughter credit where it's due because it was she who allowed me to use a few beads from her stash to complete the headband.   


Creating this baby version of the mermaid tail was a blast!  I love what happens when I simply let my creativity run free!

I also have to share this little snippet!  One of my friends liked the headband from this outfit so much that she requested an adult-size version.  Here she is wearing it after running the Yuengling Shamrock Half-Marathon in Virginia Beach on the weekend after St. Patrick's Day.  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment