Thursday, September 18, 2014

Crochet Baby Owl Afghan or Written Pattern

This crocheted baby owl afghan was made as a gift for a special new baby girl in the family.  Her mother loves owls.  So when I saw a photo of a project someone else had made similar to this, I decided to create my own pattern and add my own personal touches.  This afghan was the most labor-intensive yet satisfying project I had made in quite some time.

Since this first owl afghan, I have made another version for a friend's baby boy.  I've also used the same owl octagon granny "square" design to crochet a backpack for my daughter and tote bags for others.

Baby Girl Afghan






Baby Boy Owl Afghan
This one was a lot of fun to make just as the first one.  Because this version was made for a baby boy, whose mother chose blues, greens, yellow and grey for her son's nursery, I did my best to match her requests.  For a more masculine touch, I chose not to crochet the lacy border but to instead do a four-color coordinating border with scalloped corners.


Closeup of the Sleepy-Eyed Owl
I have to admit these eyes are probably my favorite because they're just so darn sweet.  Also, this is a good closeup view of the edging.  I really like this edging style because it was a simple look to create and it feels more custom-made and artistic.


Closeup of the Round-Eyed Owl
I added just a touch of white to the pupil of his eye to give it a "bright-eyed" effect.  

Closeup of the Starry-Eyed Owl


If you would like to order a custom-crocheted Crochet Baby Owl Afghan per your color preferences, check out my Etsy shop listing here.

The Owl Backpack
I made this backpack for my daughter.  Although it was a lot of work, it is quite functional for her needs, and she loves it.  She receives compliments everywhere she totes it.  Currently, I'm working on a tote bag version of it with a simple shoulder strap instead of backpack straps.

     



The Owl Tote Bag


Below (left) is a close-up photo of the scalloped border and handles. The handles actually have two layers--the handles of a canvas bag and a crocheted casing around each handle.

Below (right) is the canvas bag lining.  I purchase pre-made canvas tote bags from the craft store, sew and crochet them into the interior of the bag.  I personally believe incorporating the canvas bag into the design provides durability and secures the bags contents for full functionality.

       

These bags are currently for sale in my Etsy shop at a **REDUCED PRICE** and available for IMMEDIATE SHIPPING.  They would make the perfect Holiday gift for a special lady or girl!




If you are interested in the pattern for the Crocheted Baby Owl Granny "Square", I am currently making the finishing touches on the written pattern.  :)

The owl "square" is the foundation for all of the above projects.  Sewn together with crochet squares or triangles filling the gaps, these baby owls create the most adorable accessories from afghans to bags to even scarves.  The possibilities are many!

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog!  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment